Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year - New Us!

So we started off our new diet yesterday and it has already been a challenge. Especially with the kids. In fact, it has been hard on everyone. My husband just called me from work saying they ordered Dominos and could he "please, please have piece?" The kids have been crying for hotdogs, mac and cheese, and of course, gummie snacks. I am craving soda something fierce but I have been a good girl and drinking lots of water! It is amazing how much awful things you realize you have been putting in your body when you really start getting down to it.

So what is our new diet? Well, I don't think we have 100% decided exactly what it is. We are trying to eat "real food". Which means nothing that comes from a box or jar that has a million things we cannot pronounce. We are riding the fence about refined sugars. I have to look into it more. I just love to bake and thinking about not baking makes my heart sad. I think for now we are going to cut everything out so that we are not feeling like we need it and then if we have it every so often it can be a treat aside from the norm.



So of course last week we went on an outing to find Whole Foods and stock our kitchen with healthy and unprocessed things. I have never looked for a Whole Foods before but I remembered seeing one once halfway across town. We drove all the way over there just to find it had been bought out by Sprouts. Well, they are all whole food organic stuff right? It appeared not so much. Though they did have a bunch of grain and other things in bulk that we stocked up on. The kids had fun picking which things they wanted and filling up the bags and weighing them. "It's like we live in the olden days!" my 5yr old said. I laughed and then thought, isn't that kinda the idea? Back to our roots? Live off the land?






It was my goal to only spend $60 for the remainder of the week. My total ended up being $78.13. But we got quite a bit. A lot of produce. I think I am going to have to do a search to see where there IS a whole foods. I also think we are going to go straight to the farms for a visit once the weather clears up.  I have been journaling (is that a word?) all that we eat and I will be sharing some pictures in the next few days. Hope everyone is having a wonderful new year!


No comments:

Post a Comment